The Importance of Sealing Concrete Floors
From superior durability to maximized energy efficiency, there are various benefits of concrete. No wonder it is the most popular building material in the world. To make your concrete flooring last longer, you need to seal it with a concrete flooring sealer.
A concrete sealer works by blocking concrete pores. Some sealers create an impermeable layer that prevents moisture and salts from passing. There are three main types of sealers – topical sealers, integral sealers, and penetrating sealers.
- Topical Sealers: A topical sealer is placed on the surface of a concrete floor. They can be used to protect floors installed inside and outside homes (indoor and outdoor flooring).
- Integral Sealers: Integral sealers are added to the concrete mix in the plant. As a result, the flooring starts sealing immediately after it is laid.
- Penetrating Sealers: These sealers penetrate the concrete to create a protective shield, a chemical barrier that offers protection against the elements.
Reasons to Seal Concrete Floors
Here are some benefits of sealing concrete:
- Extends the Service Life of Your Floors: A quality sealer creates a protective shield that prevents moisture, water, oil spills, and UV rays from penetrating the surface of the floor. Sealing concrete floors can extend their service life by up to 25-30 years. Sealed floors are highly resistant to corrosion, scaling, and cracking. A quality sealer is designed to help maintain the natural sheen of concrete for years.
- Prevents Mold Growth: Moisture can seep in through pores in concrete, causing mold to grow over time. To steer clear of this problem, seal your concrete floor. The concrete sealer will create an impermeable layer to prevent moisture from entering the surface. A quality sealer will prevent mold and mildew from damaging your floor, helping maintain its natural look for years.
- Helps Maintain the Natural Color: Concrete flooring can lose its natural shine and luster when exposed to the elements. Oil spills and heavy foot traffic can also negatively affect the appearance of your concrete floor. A quality sealer will help protect and maintain the color of your floor and will keep it looking fresh for extended periods of time.
Steps to Prepare Concrete Floor for Sealing
The importance of preparing your floor before applying a sealer cannot be emphasized enough. Proper preparation will extend the service life of your sealer. Follow these steps to prepare your concrete floor for sealing:
- Remove the skirting boards with a putty knife
- Clean the room (remove debris and dirt)
- Open all the windows in the room
- Degrease your floor
- Scrub oily areas on the floor with a wire brush
- Mop the floor with a wet mop
- Allow your floor to dry
- Fill cracks with a filler
After preparing your concrete floor for sealing, apply the sealer using a paint roller. Remember to seal around the edges. Give the sealer 12-24 hours to dry.
Are you looking for a building materials store near you that sells landscaping supplies, concrete products, and stucco building materials under one roof? Look no further than Bayshore Materials Inc. No matter how complex or unique your project, you will find the right materials for it at our store. For inquiries, call us at 707-644-0859.